What is Chhurpi?
Chhurpi or Churpi is considered to be the world’s hardest cheese. Chhurpi are hand-crafted in the Himalayas using a centuries-old recipe. Produced from the milk of yaks and cows with a dash of lime juice and salt. The Chhurpi are smoked and sun-dried for extra hardness and flavour.
Why did we choose Chhurpi to be our first own brand product?
Chhurpi have a wide range of benefits for dogs:
- Natural: no additives, preservatives or flavour enhancers
- Grain and Gluten Free: great for dogs with allergies, intolerances and sensitive stomachs
- Tasty & Cheesy: a favourite for canines
- High Protein: contributes to a healthy coat and skin, muscle development and tissue repair
- Rich in Nutrients: magnesium, calcium, Omega 3 and antioxidants
- Dental Hygiene: reduces plaque and improves gum health
- Low Fat/Carb: a healthy choice for all dogs
- Long-lasting: provide mental stimulation and relieve anxiety
- Low Odour: your dog can enjoy the chew without you having to smell it
- Safe: great alternative to rawhide and plastic chews
- Suitable for all ages (3 months+) and breeds: available in 3 sizes
What makes our Chhurpi eco-friendly?
0% plastic in our packaging. Each Chhurpi Dog Chew has a card label attached with a piece of jute string. The chews are distributed to our retailers in thin card boxes. And guess what, these boxes come to us in larger cardboard boxes. All of the card and cardboard used can be recycled, or reused and then recycled. Jute is 100% biodegradable and can also be recycled.
Unsurprisingly, 0% plastic was really important to us. Some retailers are currently selling yak milk chews in thick plastic sealed bags and there is absolutely no need to do this!
0% waste was also important to us; every single bit of the chew is used. Once your dog has enjoyed the chew, take the remaining small end piece and place it in a microwave on high for 30 to 60 seconds until it puffs up. Allow to cool completely, then give it back to your dog to finish as a treat!
Do Chhurpi need to be made in the Himalayas?
I’ve weighed up all the options related to importing a product from so far away, and the answer is yes they do!
Yaks live in the Himalayas. Unfortunately, chews made solely of cow’s milk would not be as tasty. I thought about importing yak’s milk and manufacturing the chews here in the UK, but the finished chews actually weigh less than the milk required to make them. The chews lose a lot of moisture when they are dried so it is better for the environment to import them pre-made. If anyone has any yaks in the UK producing surplus milk please let me know.
In scenarios like this, it is important to remember that we cannot live completely green lifestyles but that we can be eco-conscious. Eco-swaps in our day to day lives will make a difference.
Where can I buy Chhurpi Dog Chews?
Chhurpi Dog Chews can be bought through our website or from the shops we supply to. If you’re a shop owner and would like to stock them (please contact us).